A few years back I picked up a Dragonman Conversion Kit to build a Dragonborn sorcerer a few years back and have been looking for easy conversions for the rest of the bits ever since. Head swaps can be a little finicky, so I always kept an eye open for a good pairing.
With the onset of bones, I found it. the Bones Duke Gerard
mini was right on several levels. It looked spot on for a Paladin or
Warlord, and being plastic meant it was easy to carve the head away. I
couldn't stop the sword from curving, so I swapped it out with a blade
from the Black Templar's Emperor's Champion (Games Workshop).
I've already painted blue and red dragonborn, and this time around I
really felt like making a black one, and keeping in mostly monochrome
(there are a few blue, gold and brown accents though). Black can be a
bit tricky, since it can tend to look unfinished, so to combat this I'm
not going to keep the mini a bit darker, hence the black shield and
cloth. I also added a little bit of a blue tint into his scales, and am
using the blue accents to hopefully tie it together.
The armor is mostly done, but most everything else needs at least 2-3 layers before I'm happy, but you can see where I'm going.