Monday, July 22, 2013

Meet the PC: Zarina Ambrose, Genasi Artificer

One of my favorite parts about tabletop roleplaying is finding, modeling, and painting the perfect miniatures for our party PCs. I've been doing this for years now, and thought I'd share some of these characters with you.

Back in 2010, following Yorrik's comprehensive Castlevania game, the rest of us were taking turns GMing our own games. I did an ill-fated Dark Sun game and Robotlich did his tongue-in-cheek game, but first, fellow player Chris led us on a campaign of his own devising.

Probably one of the most frustrating game's I've participated in, and I've played Iron Man D&D.

The setting itself was a feudal fantasy world set a almost a millennium following a earth-shaping cataclysm. Some races survived while others did not (halflings, gnomes, & dwarves didn't make it iirc). At the time of the game, humanity was the ruling, jingoistic class, while all others were of lower caste.  Since the world was still slowly recovering from it's near-end there was a push to rediscover much of the lost knowledge, tools, and arcana of the previous age. This is where our adventuring party came in.

For my part in the game, I played a wizarding academy dropout-turned-archeologist named Zarina Ambrose. She would go out in the wilds looking to unearth old treasures and return it to the arcane university for a retainer (she'd of course keep the best finds for herself). To represent the fact she had some magical affinity, but no real talent she relied almost entirely on magical equipment she found & modified: Hence the Artificer class from the Eberron source book.

Overall I'd give the Artificer class a C-. It's unwieldy, not very intuitive, and begging for extra rules support that it never really got while I was playing. I liked the character though.


The mini itself is Kyla, Bounty Hunter from Reaper, and fit exactly with what I wanted. To me it has a kind of Tomb Raider quality. Someone who's spent a lot of time away from civilization & has had to piece her armor back together. The fact I was playing a Genasi didn't matter, since it was a simple palette swap to give her blue skin with a few white lines painted onto her face. Normally Water Genasi are bald, but they've been known to have hair, so I went with it.

~Muninn

No comments:

Post a Comment