Monday, August 31, 2015

Meet the PC: Bran, Human Cleric

One of my favorite parts about tabletop roleplaying is finding, modeling, and painting the perfect miniatures for our party PCs. I've been doing this for years now, and thought I'd share some of these characters with you.

Between wife, kids, work and school I really haven't played nearly as many roleplaying games as I'd like in the last few years. Playing fewer games mean fewer character, & fewer PC's to paint. It's been a while since I've shown off a PC though, so here's my latest.

Earlier this year Yorrik wanted to DM a 5th edition D&D campaign he'd come up with called "King for a Day" that takes place on an island roughly based on post-Roman empire Ireland. The island is dominated by humans, but still had a number of fae/elves/dwarves to go around. Our band of adventurers/misfits/heroes were sent by a dying king to rally an army to prevent a civil war, then things went askew. It happens.

Since this was my first time playing 5E, & probably one of the last chances I'd have to play for a while, I wanted to go for a class I rarely play, & I quickly narrowed it down to Cleric. I've always wanted to use this mini, so I let it dictate a good bit of my character.

Bran here is a cleric of the Raven Queen, using the Death domain from the DMG). In the setting Gods are a bit more active in humanity & actually give insight to their clerics (called godwalkers). Bran tends to travel & deliver messages from his queen, which isn't always well received (probably why he has the big sword). The domain is an odd setup, so he's lightly armored, but has access to heavier weapons. In fights I put him at mid-range, able to cast spells, but run into melee when he needs to. The mini is Reaper's Reeve the Pious.  




While I like the mini, it's way overpriced for a simple design. I managed to purchase it when they released the high-lead P-65 line, so the cost was a bit more reasonable. The hooded face was a bit tricky. A lot of the paintjobs I saw emphasize his square jaw, but I tried to soften it a bit. I wanted to play up the winter/death domain a bit so I chose a colder palette, blues & greys. I think it reads pretty well, & gives a good impression of what the character is all about: a holy man who'll cut you down if he needs to.

~Muninn

No comments:

Post a Comment