Monday, February 11, 2013

Meet the PC: Jibral al-Rashid, Human Invoker

One of my favorite parts about tabletop roleplaying is finding, modeling, and painting the perfect miniatures for our party PCs. I've been doing this for years now, and thought I'd share some of these characters with you.

A few years ago Yorrik pitched a 4th edition D&D campaign set in Castlevania in the 13th century. Needless to say we were all on board. We all came up with good quasi-historic characters and played for the better part of a year. Better yet, this is one of the few games where I managed to paint all of the characters before game's end.

Here was mine: 
 Admittedly, the name above is shortened. The full name is Jibral al-Rashid ibn Kareem aal-Sayaad.

He was an Arabian sage sent to Europe put down a great darkness or die trying. I liked the movie "the 13th Warrior" (based on Eaters of the Dead), so I wanted to explore the idea of an Islamic man of God fighting evil in Europe.

The mini itself is a slightly converted Reaper Cleric of Ishnar from their Warlords line. I added a complete turban, and greenstuffed a full beard for him. We also color coordinated colors for the minis so they'd be easier to identify on the board. I chose green for my guy because 1. green is my favorite color, and 2. it's a significant color in Islam. Seemed to fit perfectly.

I liked this character, although the Invoker's powers had a lot of out of sequence effects, so you had to pay close attention to what was happening. One bit of fun I had is that I assigned particular Quran verses for each power, and would sometimes say them to announce my attacks. I liked the flavor it added to the game, and it was interesting to read a bit of the Quran.

~Muninn

No comments:

Post a Comment