Monday, April 29, 2013

Meet the PC: Phyrrus, Tiefling Psion

One of my favorite parts about tabletop roleplaying is finding, modeling, and painting the perfect miniatures for our party PCs. I've been doing this for years now, and thought I'd share some of these characters with you.

In 2011 I became a Game Master for the first time. I always really enjoyed the Dark Sun campaign setting, and wanted to guide my friends through the harsh desert world as well. Since I was busy with my GM duties, Yorrik stepped up and planned out the PC minis for everyone. Finding good minis for Dark Sun is tough because there is almost no metal in the whole world, so every little bit and detail has to be non-metallic: Belt buckle? bone. Plate Armor? carapace. Sword? carve nicks into the edges and make it look like obsidian. It was a tough task, but he rose to the occasion.

Unfortunately my players had schedule issues, and the game ended just before I was able to get into the central story arc. Yorrik bought all four minis, but was only able to complete three before the game was canceled.

Here is the first he completed, his own character, Phyrrus:

Dark Sun is a world where magic creates horrible mutants, and he went a slightly different direction with his Tiefling. Phyrrus was a slightly cracked psychic slave. He was raised to fight in the arena, but he was dangerous to his handlers and had destroyed more than he was worth. His owner threw him to the gladiator pits which is where he met the rest of the party.

I really like this sculpt, and what Yorrik did with it. It's another Reaper, Damien, Hellborn Wizard.  I particularly like the extreme highlighting technique. The hard edges make me feel like he's from a harsh, bright environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment