Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 16: Ogre Bull

I'm behind in my painting duties.

It turns out vacation with my wife's family isn't necessarily a time to relax, rather, it is an occasion where everyone spends most of their waking hours with members of the family, cooking, riding, shopping, eating, etc. That isn't a complaint at all, it's just an observation. There isn't much time alone, and given that her family doesn't understand my enjoyment of painting, or nerd culture, I only broke out my painting stuff after everyone had gone to sleep. That really didn't give me a lot of time.

One of the minis I managed to finish while traveling was this guy.


A few years back I won a local painting competition and walked away with an Ogre Kingdoms battalion box. I had a buddy who played OK, so I figured I'd give him a chance to buy it. He passed on the box, and it was pushed to the back of my closet. I like Ogres thematically, and because they're an elite army, which means it'd take less time to paint a whole army. If I remember correctly a whole army took about 20-25 ogres, which isn't too daunting

While coming up with a color scheme I liked the idea of an Ogre clan that had lived in Araby, and had interbred with Djinn there. I'm not sure if that's possible, but I couldn't find anything that could refute that idea. Either way these Djinn-Ogres would have ruddy red skin and white hair, bronze armor, and dessert-esque clothing. I decided to stick to browns and khaki for the clothes.

The skin itself took about 6 steps.
1. Basecoat of Mechrite Red
2. Wash of Reikland Fleshshade
3 & 4. Progressively lighter layers of Mechrite Red and Dwarf Flesh (about 3:1 & 1:1 respectively)
5. a final highlight of Dwarf Flesh
6. a wash of Baal Red

I feel like it's a nice reddish skin, which stands out without being too cartoonish. Most of these paints are outdated, so if I do stick with this scheme I'll probably have to find some substitutions moving forward.

This is finals week for my Summer term, so I'll probably update one more time tonight or tomorrow, and then I'll concentrate of catching up on my painting. More later.

~Muninn

No comments:

Post a Comment